Saturday College Basketball
The Lenoir-Rhyne Men’s Basketball Team dropped its first game of the season, a 75-68 decision to Lander on Saturday evening and Jerry Self was on the court with My8four3 keeping our #Sports fans #LockedIN.
The game was the season-opener for LR who shot just 35.4 percent from the field on the night.
Inside the Matchup:
Final: Lander 75, Lenoir-Rhyne 68
Records: Lenoir Rhyne (3-1), Lander (3-1)
Location: Shuford Memorial Gym I Hickory, N.C.
Stats of the Game:
- The Bears shot just 29 percent from the field in the second half and 31 percent from long range in the game. LR was also outrebounded by the Bearcats by a final count of 46-29.
- R.J. Gunn finished wiht a team-high 18 points and added eight boards. Darius Simmons came off the bench to score 15 points and Mason Hawks had 12 points.
- Hawks scored all of his points from long range as the junior went 4-for-7 from deep. The rest of the Bears shot just 5-for-22 from distance.
- Lander conntected on 45.6 percent of their field goals and four of their starting five scored in double figures. Elijah Alston recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds and Deon Berrien came off the bench to score 17 points and add eight boards.
- Davion Bradford had four steals for LR.
Beyond the Box Score:
- This is only the ninth all-time meeting between the two programs with Lander owning a 6-3 advantage.
- The Bears are now 1-1 against the Peach Belt after previously defeating Young Harris.
- This is the only non-conference home game for LR all season.
Up Next: The Bears return to action on Wednesday night when they travel to Clayton State for a 7 p.m. contest.