Knights Reveal First Depth Chart of 2017
The UCF football team has been practicing for nearly a month and the start of the second season under head coach Scott Frost is just six days away. On Friday, Frost released the first official depth chart of the season.
Of note on the depth chart:
- There are 15 upperclassmen listed on the defensive two-deep, including five of six on the defensive line.
- The Knights list 15 total freshmen on the depth chart, including 10 true freshmen.
- Seven of 10 true freshmen are on the offense and four are wide receivers.
- Reigning American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year Shaquem Griffinleads a veteran group at linebacker heading into 2017.
- The defensive line has even more experience and more depth, as five of the six Knights on the depth charter are upperclassmen.
- While questions surrounding who would emerge on the defensive back depth chart surrounded camp, the coaching staff has been pleased with the play in practice thus far.
- After setting a UCF freshman record for completions in 2016, McKenzie Milton returns to lead a young group of quarterbacks.
- Freshmen Noah Vedral and Darriel Mack, Jr. are both listed as the backup.
- A pair of sophomores are on the depth chart at running back with last year’s leading rusher Jawon Hamilton and big play threat Adrian Killins, Jr.
- Junior Taj McGowan is also in the mix after rushing for 4.5 yards per rush last season
- At tight end it is a trio of seniors on the depth chart as Jordan Akins, Jordan Franksand Michael Colubiale lead the way.
- Tre’Quan Smith UCF with 853 receiving yards and five touchdowns in 2016 and is back to lead a young group of wide receivers for the Knights in 2017.
- Veteran starters at tackle Aaron Evans and Wyatt Miller will look to lead the offensive line again this season.
- Following one of the best kicking seasons in UCF history, junior Matthew Wrightreturns to field goal and extra point duty, while adding kickoff responsibilities in 2017.
- After playing behind Caleb Houston for two years, junior Mac Loudermilk takes over as punter and holder for the Knights.
- Adrian Killins, who returned one kick for a touchdown as a freshman, will be joined by fellow speedster Otis Anderson as kick returner in 2017.
- Chris Johnson is back to handle punt return duty, while Tre’Quan Smith is listed as the backup.
RISE AND CONQUER
The second season of UCF Football under head coach Scott Frost is just around the corner. Fans can explore all of the new ticket options at Spectrum Stadium by visiting WeRiseandConquer.com or calling (407) 823-1000.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men’s and women’s teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.