Jump of 61,342 from 2016 second for domestic MiLB ballparks; 23 percent increase is Baseball Grounds record
With a total attendance of 325,743 in the inaugural season of the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp presented byCommunity First Credit Union, the fans of Northeast Florida grew attendance at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville by 61,342 – the largest increase for a Double-A ballpark from 2016 to 2017, the largest in the history of the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville and second-largest of any ballpark in domestic Minor League Baseball.
The Jumbo Shrimp’s inaugural average attendance of 5,171 in 63 openings was the highest per-game average in nine years at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville and an increase of 23 percent over the 2016 average of 4,197.
“The support of our fans, partners and the Jacksonville community in the inaugural season of the Jumbo Shrimp has been nothing short of amazing,” said Jumbo Shrimp Owner Ken Babby. “We are so grateful for their enthusiastic response to affordable family fun at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.”
Here is a glance at Jumbo Shrimp attendance by the numbers:
- 325,743: Total attendance, Jacksonville’s highest since 2010
- 61,342: Total attendance increase, a record at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville
- 41,276: Total attendance April 12-16, a series record at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville
- 11,398: July 3 attendance, the largest single-game crowd since July 3, 2008
- 5,171: Per-game average attendance, Jacksonville’s highest since 2008, second in the Southern League
- 23: percent increase in attendance – a record at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville
- 13: crowds of 7,000 or more fans – most since 2010
- 7: crowds of 8,000 or more fans – most since 2009
- 3: crowds of 10,000 or more fans – most since 2008, also the three largest crowds in the 2017 Southern League
- 2nd: (to Triple-A Nashville) in total attendance increase from 2016 to 2017 in all domestic MiLB ballparks
- 1st: in total attendance increase from 2016 to 2017 among Double-A ballparks open in 2016 and 2017
“The fans of Northeast Florida created an electric ballpark atmosphere throughout the season, and energized our staff to continue delivering an outstanding guest experience,” said Jumbo Shrimp General Manager Harold Craw. “We invite all of Jacksonville to continue their passionate support when our playoff run returns home on Friday; we cannot wait to continue sharing the affordable family fun that is the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp!”
UP NEXT: The Jumbo Shrimp’s 2017 playoff run presented by Community First Credit Union opens with Game 1 of the best-of-five South Division Championship Series in Pensacola at 7:35 p.m. Wednesday. The first home playoff game is Game 3 of the series on Friday, Sept. 8, at 7:05 p.m., and tickets are on sale. Fireworks shows follow each home playoff game. Game dates and times are subject to change based on weather, travel and length of the prior series. Ticket plan holders may reserve their seats for all potential home playoff games by calling (904) 358-2846 or at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville box office.
ABOUT THE JUMBO SHRIMP: The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are beginning a new era of affordable family fun with the 2017 season presented by Community First Credit Union at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. With a new lineup of ticket and group options, there is a reason for everyone to get part of the action by calling the Jumbo Shrimp at (904) 358-2846 or visiting www.jaxshrimp.com.