The Battle Of The Undefeated Was A Game To Remember
Over 10,000 fans were on hand for the Division II National Showcase game and thanks to a 20-13 victory over Wingate University Athletics the Lenoir-Rhyne University Football Team clinched at least a share of the ninth The South Atlantic Conference Championship in program history and Jerry Self Jr was in Hickory, North Carolina with JJS Photos and My8four3 keeping our #Sports Fans #LockedIN.
The Bears can claim an outright title with a win over Catawba in two weeks. Jaquay Mitchell was the star for the Bears, scoring each of the LR touchdowns and accounting for 176 total yards.
STATS OF THE GAME:
• After the team’s traded field goals in the first quarter, Mitchell caught a 41-yarder from Grayson Willingham with 14:35 left on the clock in the second quarter.
• The Bears would add a field goal to go up double-digits but Wingate added a field goal at the end of the first half to send the teams into the break with LR holding a 13-6 advantage.
• The defenses took over in the third quarter with neither team scoring before Willingham and Mitchell connected 2:39 into the fourth quarter on a 90-yard pass play. The TD was the longest passing touchdown in the 100-year program of LR Football, topping the previous record of 89 yards from Craig Corbett to Steve Fleming against Elon in 1980.
• The Bulldogs cut the lead to one possession with a 4-yard touchdown pass by Shaw Crocker to BJ Muckelvene. After holding LR, Wingate got the ball back down seven with 3:41 to play. A 4th and 14 toss from Crocker was intercepted by Javoris Smith to secure the LR victory.
• For the second straight home game, LR netted a huge first offensive play of the game. Ameen Stevens took the opening handoff 70 yards and set up Chase Allbaugh’s first field goal. Two weeks ago, Mitchell took the opening handoff 65 yards to set up and LR score against Carson-Newman.
• A week after setting the new career record for most touchdown passes, Willingham finished 10-for-18 for 169 yards and his two touchdowns.
• Muckelvene finished with seven grabs for 106 yards for the visitors. On the defensive side, Gabe Price added 15 tackles and Elijah Gilmore had 13.
• The Bears defense was led by Eric Jackson with 12 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss. Clayton Horn also starred for the Bears as the senior LB had nine tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and an interception. Ivan Milliken also had a career-high eight tackles.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• The game took place in front of a national audience and was broadcast on ESPN3 as part of the Division II Showcase game.
• Each of the last four games between these two have been decided by one possession with the Bears winning the last three. LR won by a touchdown at Wingate in the regular season in 2018 and by four in the NCAA Playoffs in Hickory last November.
• The Bears ranked No. 2 in the Southeast Region and the Bulldogs were No. 4.
• This is the first time in the last 16 regular-season games that Jaquan Artis didn’t register at least 0.5 sack. The DE did finish with three solo tackles and a TFL.
• Lenoir-Rhyne is now one of 13 remaining undefeated teams.
• The Bears have now won 19 straight regular season games, 14 straight South Atlantic Conference contests and 12 straight inside Moretz Stadium.